We are docked! Wheee!! We arrive in Basseterre, St. Kitts a little behind schedule - which seems typical for this cruise. Nothing to complain about though. The Celebrity Eclipse is next to use, it seems huge compared to the Journey. And it's not a mega ship, I think it has 2800 passengers.


I had not slept well, was feeling a little under the weather when I woke up. But still managed to drag myself up those 5 flights of stairs to the gym, lol. Met Nikki & Darrel for breakfast in the buffet, and ended up having a little moment of cranky-pot-pie when I once again couldn't get coffee (or even find a server to ask!). So I decided I needed to stay on the ship, that I wouldn't be good company today. I felt badly for John, and told him to go along with Nikki & Darrel - but he said he was tired too. I had planned on going back to bed, but they were having a crew emergency evacuation drill, complete with loudspeaker. Sigh. So I did laundry instead, that is a nice feature on Azamara - free laundry and soap. And with everyone being on shore, no competition for the machines, lol

And no competition for pool chairs either!

Nikki and Darrel headed for town, they ended up finding monkeys! The French had imported a few vervet or green monkeys from Africa as pets during their century of rulership. When the British took over the island, they deported their enemies. However, they refused to allow the monkeys on the ships, and the primates were turned loose on the mountainous island. The tropical climate, miles of untamed rainforest, and plentiful vegetation agreed with the furry creatures, so much in fact, that today the
monkey population is estimated to be two and a half times larger than the human population.




They took a cab to the other side of the island, to Cockleshell Bay/Reggae Beach. Nikki even managed to get a massage!

There is a pig there, named Wilbur. The pig was purchased years ago for food by an employee of the Reggae Beach Bar & Grill but the bar’s owner grew attached to him. He ended up buying Wilbur so that he could live the rest of his life on the beach. As anyone who’s read the children’s classic Charlotte’s Web knows, you don’t name a pig Wilbur and expect to have it grace your dinner table. Wilbur weighs 700 pounds and lolls on the beach in the shade, guzzling beer and eating cheeseburgers when he’s not sleeping.

And you can even go swimming with him!

After my day of rest, I was in a much better mood - and loved the sunset as we sailed away from St. Kitts.

We met Nikki & Darrel for drinks in the casino lounge and she introduced me to mudslides. MMMMMmmmmm good!

We then headed to Discoveries for dinner, only to discover there was a long wait. We were a little disappointed, as we didn't want to wait or go to the buffet. The hotel director (Scott Daniels) offered to see if we could be served at Prime C, one of the specialty restaurants. We said yes, and luckily we could be seated right away. Oh WOW was the food amazing! We had a variety of appetizers ... mushroom soup, french onion soup, caprese salad, shrimp .... and then dinner for me was a HUGE rib eye steak. I ate two bites, gave the rest to John (who had halibut and chips, and the portions seemed small) ... and Nikki took my bone. Dessert was an amazing chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream, I was in heaven. I was so full, my stomach looked like I was ready to give birth. Called it my food baby, lol. So worth paying the extra $15/ea the specialty restaurants require ... but it turns out that the hotel director comped our meal! What a nice surprise. So we left a hefty tip for our waiter, who was amazing.


After all that food - I was done. Walked around a bit and then went to bed. Eating is exhausting, apparently! LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment