Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Antigua - 3/17

Today is St John's, Antigua. We once again had room service, coffee only. I am never eating again after dinner last night at Prime C! I think this is the best solution for my coffee service issues, lol. What is better than coffee in bed anyway? We are docked once again, this time next to the Sea Princess. We enjoyed watching everyone come off the ship, dang there are a lot of people. Because we were late getting back from the gym, Nikki & Darrel were ready to go to shore before we were. I knew they didn't want to spend much money, as they had spent a lot the previous day in St. Kitts. So I figured we'd meet up with them at the nearest beach, because that would be the least expensive cab ride!
But first we walked around town, I had heard they had a lovely church. But it was under construction, so we only got a few photos from outside.
Then we found a cab to take us to a beach (not much of an issue with that, I was amazed at the irritating gauntlet of cabbies trying to get you to go with them). Found one that turned out to be bootleg, but seemed okay. They recommended Dickenson beach, as it was close and they didn't charge for chairs/umbrellas. We figured that was where Nikki & Darrel would be, but we were wrong. Hard thing not being able to use cell phones to keep in touch, lol. It was a lovely beach, with bars/music to put you in a festive mood. I had wanted to snorkel, but this beach wasn't good for that. But we enjoyed people watching, there were jet skis, hobi cats, and catamarans. It was HOT, so I spent a lot of time swimming in the gorgeous water.


There was this man walking on the beach with a big aloe vera plant on his head ... for $5 he cut off a big chuck and put it into a jar for me. I know this will help my sunburned skin feel so much better!

At about 3:30 we head back to meet our cabbie, who had agreed to come back and get us at 4pm. Wouldn't you know it - halfway up the hill from the beach he gets a flat tire! So he calls his mom and she comes (with his sister, lol) to take us back to the ship. So nice we met the entire family, hehehe.

Back on ship, we grabbed another burger at the pool bar, I realized I hadn't eaten all day but honestly wasn't all that hungry. Then back to our room for a shower/nap - such the life! We decided we didn't want to dress for dinner, so we headed up to the Windows Cafe for cocktails/sushi on the aft deck around 6pm. We've discovered that if we go that early we get a table in the open and there is nothing better than watching the sunset, feeling the breeze and having cocktails! LOL They were cooking mussels and clams at the buffet that night ... I didn't care for the clams, but the mussels were amazing. That was all I needed for a fabulous dinner. We were joined by a couple from Cape Cod, we spent a few hours visiting/drinking/eating with them. They had some mussels, and then the stir fry. Looked like something the cat hacked up, I don't know why people rave about it. Not a big fan of the buffet on the ship, too much 'live' food - meaning you have to stand there holding your plate while they cook your meal in front of you. So then you get a long queue that blocks the rest of the food choices, and I can't tell you how many times I patiently waited for the line to move so I could get to something, only to have someone barge in front of me. Grrr! Most people are so self-focused, they don't pay any attention to what else is happening around them.

The pool deck had been set up for outdoor movie night (Oceans) but we never made it. After our new friends left us, we turned around to see Nikki & Darrel sitting at the table behinds us, with other new friends they had met from Tacoma! So we joined them, had a few more drinks and headed to the casino. After leaving some money behind, we headed up to the Looking Glass lounge for a comedy/music show 'Now Just Me' with Lloyd (one of the cabaret performers). We enjoy him, lol. Since it was St. Patrick's day, everything was decorated with hokey Walmart decorations - too funny! It was a fun night.

1 comment:

Bobbi-Lynn said...

Oh my gosh the beaches look fantastic!!!