Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Land ho! St John 3/14

So, after two days at sea ... we were ready to get off the ship. We awoke to see St. John, USVI outside our window, and the tenders being lowered to take us to shore. Weather appeared overcast/rainy, but thankfully it was much better by the time we got outside.

We ordered room service that morning - I think I might have found a solution to getting coffee in the morning! It arrived on time, hot with a fabulous breakfast. I could get used to this!

Getting off the ship wasn't much fun - everyone was anxious and started lining up in the narrow hallway/stairway. I got claustrophobic and overheated, had to get out of there and move to a more open space. We were late getting to port, and even though we had planned on getting off an hour after the masses, we obviously didn't time it right. But we did eventually make it off and tendered into lovely Cruz Bay.

We took a cab to Trunk Bay ... at $6/person and 24 per cab ... they do make money off tourists!


The driver did stop at a few lookout points for photos - so, so pretty!!!

Finally - Trunk Bay .... GORGEOUS!



It cost $4 to enter the area, and I had been warned it gets very crowded. I'm guessing whoever said that hasn't been to Waikiki beach, lol. I thought it was lovely, not too crowded at all. I was so excited to snorkel, as they supposedly had this amazing underwater trail to follow. Well, I was disappointed. The water was clear, but there weren't many fish or coral to look at. John was having issues with his mask, and his hip was bothering him. Nikki & Darrel aren't strong swimmers, so they didn't even want to attempt. I still loved it, even if I only swam for about an hour. I could have been out in the water all day! After about 4 hours we called it a day and headed back to the ship.

But first a stop at Mongoose Junction (a shopping area) to buy $18 sunscreen (!) and a $22 visor (!) (my poor nose was so burnt, even with tons of sunscreen - it needed shade, lol).


Back on ship, we enjoyed a lovely cheeseburger by the pool as it was the only option for food as the buffet and dining room were in-between meal service. And we were starving, all that swimming worked up an appetite!

Dinner was in Discovery Dining Room, with Nathalie, the cruise sales officer, and 3 other couples. We aren't quite sure how we got this special invitation, but we had met her at the Mix n' Mingle party the first night on ship so perhaps she remembered us from then. There was one couple from Vancouver, BC - one from Denver - and one from New Hampshire. Dinner was shrimp cocktail, pumpkin bisque soup, swordfish and creme brulee - fabulous!! Service was impeccable, as you would expect when dining with an officer. After dinner we went to the show - a very funny comedian/impressionist, Joey Van - hilarious. Met up with Nikki & Darrel for a little time in the casino, then in bed before midnight. I am sleeping so nicely - the bed is awesome and the rocking of the ship makes me sleep like a baby!

2 comments:

Bobbi-Lynn said...

Awesome pics, love reading about your trip. Funny, I was just watching a show called House Hunters International last night, where people are searching to buy a vacation home, and the couple was buying a million dollar vacation home in St John's, and one of the homes had that exact view will all the boats in the bay!

Looks like such a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
This is Darrel’s Uncle Stan. He sent me this link, and I have been grooving on your pictures and excellent commentary. Sounds like the bunch of you had a great time!
But it is like a story with no ending. What happened next? Where are the rest of the pictures? And like, were there any wild parties? Or what?
* (wink)
Uncle Stan :-)