Okay, I admit it. I used to be a rabid football fan. Started as a little girl, watching games with my Dad, learning all the details of the game. And was so excited in 1976 when Seattle built the Kingdome and finally had a professional team of it's own ... The Seattle Seahawks. (and I was just 3 at the time *wink*). And the first decade was awesome, we had a few good years and even made to the conference game once. But then we had so many years of 'almost' that I began to loose my passion for the game. Combined with the excessive salaries and whining of the players, cost of tickets, etc. I switched my passion to baseball. Not that baseball doesn't have the same issues, but you can at least enjoy sitting outside on a sunny afternoon enjoying a game, whereas football is always played during the cold, damp winter and I'd rather be warm and cozy!
Fast forward to the new millennium. Seattle gets a new head coach. Mike Holmgren, who brought those Green Bay Packers back in the limelight and took them to 2 Super Bowls. Everyone was sure he'd do it here. But, nope - a few years of really bad football, driving even more fans away. But then a new stadium is built, and we start winning games. And the fairweather fans (like me) start to pay attention. And we win 11 games in a row this year. Longest winning streak in the franchise history. Who is this team? Dare we dream? Will this be the year? I was so sure we'd lose in the first round, like we've done so many times before. But not this team, they do something that's never been done before in this town. They win homefield advantage. In the past we've always had to play on the road, which involves long travel and time zone changes - gotta be rough on them, when you think of it. And we have a bye the first round, giving those players an extra week of rest. So, we breeze through the 2nd round. Get to the NFC championship game vs. The Carolina Panthers. Played in OUR HOUSE. Loudest stadium in the NFL. Oh my goodness - Seahawk Fever abounds in this town! But still I was doubtful. We tend to choke during times of pressure. But yesterday was a day I will treasure for a long time. 34-14. What a fabulous game. THEY DID IT! SEATTLE IS SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Will we win the Super Bowl? Dunno. But I'm gonna treasure the next two weeks, dreaming of that possibility! :D
And the best part? I spent yesterday with my dad, watching the game on TV ... just like when I was a little girl. Priceless memory.
Monday, January 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
YAY for your team!!!
I must admit that we are all for the Steelers (of course!)! :-p
But I dont care who wins! I hope your day is special, and I am glad it's been special already!! Good times!!! :) :) :)
Post a Comment