Anyway, glad we got our vacation in before this all happened! Here are pics from Day 2 in New Orleans
June 8th
First stop - Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignet - YUM! While the pastry isn't my thing, I fell in love with the chicory coffee ... I even carried a can of it home!


After breakfast we wandered around Jackson Square - a beautiful park in the middle of the French Quarter, with St. Louis Cathedral as the prime focal point. Gorgeous, isn't it?

It's flanked by two other buildings, one is the old City Hall (where the Lousiana Purchase was signed) and a building the originally housed Roman Catholic Priests and then became a courthouse in the early 1900s. They are both museums now. And can you believe we didn't tour any of them? Bad tourists. Next trip, right?


The park was named Jackson Square after General Andrew Jackson, after the war of 1812. His statue is in the center of the square
The entire square is gated, and around the fence artists, palm readers, entertainers etc. all set up for tourists. Pretty cool, actually. Horse drawn carriages line up, to take tourists on a tour of the quarter. We opted to walk instead, lol.

Next stop was the French Market, which apparently was damaged during Katrina and just recently reopened, all shiny and new. I think I would have liked to see it before, I bet it was great. Not all the vendors have returned, it feels a little empty. Leading into the market is a cool gold statue - it's of Joan of Arc, given to the city by the French. Why, we don't know - although we heard someone call the statue 'Joanie on the Pony' and it cracked me up. So that's what we call it now, heheh.


This was my favorite house next to the French Market - isn't it cool?
After walking the market, we wandered over to Frenchman Street, where all the good jazz clubs are. We had discovered that while Bourbon St. is great for partying, all the bars there seemed to play rock music. Lots of cover bands, lol. We wanted to hear real New Orlean's Jazz, so I wanted to see what our options would be. We ended up going back one evening and I think ended up at a place called Snug Harbor. It was great! (I didn't take my camera out at night, so can't share any night photos). It's an artsy street, I loved this one house that was painted in bright colors. And the junque store/cool metal art was a fun place too.

Okay, so that's enough photos for today - more coming tomorrow!!

3 comments:
I'm so sorry about John's news. And glad that you made it here before that happened.
I knew you would love Cafe du Monde. But I love the beignets too! We usually hit the suburb location now - on a busy street of strip malls and drive thru's. Certainly lacking in ambience but convenient (they have a drive thru too) and just as tasty.
Your pictures of the quarter are beautiful.
Skipping the Cabildo and the Presbytere (museums) gives you reason to return. That's not a bad thing. ;-) Our city is kind of like going to DC - there is just no way to see everything in one trip. (or hit all of the best resturants)
Good call on the horse and buggy ride. Can kind of be fun, but are overpriced, and I've heard the drivers/tour guides give out a lot of bad information. LOL I think some of them make up the history as they go along. ;) And by walking it, you walk off some of the food that you just HAVE to eat when you are here. LOL
I'm glad the French Market is coming back, but it is kind of sad to see it so empty. And it seems the imported junk is taking over more and more - with fewer vendors selling locally made arts. It was once a very vibrant open air market - very much like Pike Place. It is now a very scaled back version. Sad.
Fab pics Bonnie!! I really enjoyed reading about the history of the area too!
Great photos, Bonnie! I loved reading the story and reliving the city!
Post a Comment