Monday, February 16, 2009

Triathlon - me?

Yep, you read that right. I just signed up for a sprint Triathlon. I will swim 1/2 mile, bike 12 miles and run 3 miles. Am I crazy? I think so! LOL August 16th is the day ... 6 months from today!!

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but never had the nerve. Decided this was the year, as I'll begin my 50th year on this earth on June 1st. It's sponsored by Danskin, and it's geared for first timers and breast cancer survivors. And women only. I'm excited and scared - can I do this? I know I can swim and bike, it's the running that has me concerned. But I've been assured that most everyone walks/jogs that last part and it's not necessary for me to run it. But I'd sure like to be able to, and have full bragging rights. LOL

So, training doesn't officially start until sometime in April, they have a mentor group and people who you can train with. However, I know I need extra time and have started a new running program. I've found a few online training from couch to 5k, but Leah posted a great site this week with music interval training (c25k.com). I do so much better with music than with looking at my watch. It's not my kind of music (techno-crap is what I call it, lol) so I've been working on my own mix. I've been running at bootcamp, but I think I will still start at week one which is 60 sec/90 sec - run/walk intervals.

Wish me luck! LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK BONNIE!!

You caaaan dooo eeeeet!!! :-D

I admire you for this. Very much. You are my beat-yourself-up-for-charity hero! :)

Gwen said...

I'm so proud of you and also so in AWE of you! You'll be fine. You put the rest of us to shame!

Shannon said...

OMG! Bonnie - this is great! I am amazed. I don't think I could do it. And I know you can.

I'm such a lazy sack of....