Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bad Blogger!

Gosh, here it is - January 31st and I haven't blogged since December. Where does the time go? I've been so busy with life and boot camp ... I guess nothing exciting to share. I have had a good scrappy month, I'll post some of my favorite layouts next week. Today I want to share my new chicken enchilada recipe ... well, it's not really new, I found it on the internet - but it's new to me and we love it.

6 - 8 flour tortillas
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 can Rotel
1 -2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
taco seasonings


First you have to cook your chicken breasts. My favorite way of doing it is to place them in water, with onions, carrots, celery, garlic. I boil for about an hour (always longer than they need) and then let them sit in the stock until it cools. Several hours. This is what gives the chicken amazing flavor. So, once cooled - shred the chicken with a fork. I used 3 half chicken breast (the frozen kind from Costco). The goal is to have about 3 cups shredded, but I never measure.

In a saucepan, take some onions and saute in butter for a few minutes. Add one can cream of chicken soup (I use the low fat/low sodium kind from Campbells). Add one can of RoTel, or a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilies and about a cup of shredded cheese. This is not a spicy recipe at all, so if you want spice, you'll need to add it. I added 1/2 pkg of taco seasoning (that wasn't in the original recipe). Oh, and add one cup of sour cream (I use lower fat, fat free tastes ucky to me. LOL ). Of course, no reason not to use full-fat versions, but I'm trying to keep calories lower these days. Mix all in saucepan until heated/blended, then side aside about 1/3 of the mixture. To the remaining 2/3 add your shredded chicken. Take off stove.

Now you need to get a 9x13 casserole dish and grease it. Then take your flour tortilla and fill each with the chicken/cheese/soup mixture and roll up. I never fold in the ends, too much work. I use LaTortilla low carb, they are whole wheat and full of fiber. Mission makes a carb balance wheat too, not quite as much fiber but still not bad. It's covered with cheese and sauce, your family will never know, hehehe). Then take the sauce you set aside and thin with the milk. Might not need an entire cup, just needs to be thin enough to cover the tops/sides of all the enchiladas in your pan. You'll have to make a judgment call. Then top with more shredded cheese and bake for about 30 minutes at 350F.

I swear you'll love them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I am so happy that you are "enjoying" (I use that term very loosely here haha) boot camp!! :)