Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuesday ... and I'm still typing ....

Some of you may know of my latest project. My Mom & Dad retired in 1987 and traveled in a 24' Argosy trailer for 5-6 years full-time. From 1987 until the year before her death, my mom kept journals of all their trips. They have been a real comfort to my Dad, and one of his nurses suggested that he have them all typed up and bound into on book. Which I also agree is a fabulous idea. So my sister found someone who would do it - but I was reluctant to let the books out of our possession. So I said I'd type them up. And man, I am nuts for doing this! LOL. I've probably got about 20 hours into it, and I've only typed up the first journal (2 years)! Thankfully, I have some awesome friends (Christine & Regina) who have offered to help, and in 1995 she started using a weekly calendar to journal on - so those are easy to scan and email off, one week at a time. Christine has already emailed me 2 weeks worth!!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying reading while I'm typing (and I'm sure that's another reason this is taking me so long ). I'm not a typist, and sometimes her writing is hard to read. And I get bored, so I take lots of breaks, hehehehh. But I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Here's a little sampling from 1988:

Thu: Jun 1: First day into Washington DC. Train ride went okay. However, was surprised to see bus load after bus load of school kids on field trips to the museums. We beat the tourists but can’t get away from the kids! We had a terrible time in the Natural History Museum as the kids were unruly and noisy and kept getting in our way. In spite of them, managed to see the first floor, but will try to come back. Terribly humid today – we were exhausted when we got back. Didn’t feel like cooking.

Fri: Jun 2: Space Museum (also Arts & Industry) today. Had better luck as there is more open space with the exhibits. I’m really impressed with the exhibits in the Smithsonian. All first class and I’m fascinated by them. However, it is sad to see the lack of interest in most of the kids – this is just a few days out of school for them. They are too young (or to dumb) to know what they are seeing! That goes for a lot of adults too. Another hot, humid day and fell into bed exhausted again.

Sat: Jun 3: Finally getting oriented and finding best ways to go. Have a milk shake at L’Enfort Plaze everyday for lunch. That’s all we eat out. Today we covered the second floor of the Natural History Museum. Was a little better, as no school groups, but still lots of people – all shapes and sizes. People and impolite kids finally drove us to the solitude of the Art Museums. Went home a little early, as this heat is getting to us.

Sun: Jun 4: Today we took the train and bus to Mt. Vernon. Weather cloudy and breezy. Was not as elegant as I had thought and after being herded with lots of others into the downstairs hall we called it quits there. But we enjoyed the grounds. Had lunch in the Inn and got home about 5pm.

Mon: Jun 5: Our last day in Washington. Can’t take the heat and people any longer. Much cooler today – looked like rain all day. Took tour mobile around to all attractions. Almost saw Edward Kennedy at Robert’s grave. Didn’t wait as it was hot in sun and got run out by a woman in a wheelchair. Crowds weren’t too bad in morning, but by afternoon we stayed on bus, as we wouldn’t have been able to get on again without a long wait. Sun was coming out and it was hot. Stayed in hotel lobby and read paper until rush hour was over. Had dinner at Roy Rogers. Rained all night. What a mess we had in the morning, looked like someone had spit tobacco juice all over truck and trailer. Got most of it off at dump station before we left.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, definitely worth it! I think that is awesome, and I kinda hope my kids will get the same feeling from reading my blog when they are older :)