Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Family History


My dad gave me a picture of my mom that he wanted me to add to the scrapbook I made for him of pictures from her life. It's one of her on a horse, at her Aunt and Uncle's Dude ranch in Wyoming during the 40s. She worked there during the summers because all the cowboys were off fighting the war. Anyway, I've been trying to remember the name of the ranch so I could include that on the page and thankfully my Dad remembered yesterday. It's the CM Ranch, named after her uncle, Charles Moore. He was married to her dad's sister, Marion. I was fortunate to meet them once or twice as a child - but they were always just old people to me, lol.

So, I'm starting to think about what I want to do with this picture and I decide to Google to see if anything comes up. I knew the ranch was in existance in the 80's, but I wasn't sure if it was still in business or not. To my surprise, there is a website for the ranch and it's still running. How cool is that? And there are a couple of old pictures in which I swear my grandmother is in. And I've learned that Uncle Charlie established the ranch in 1927 and was the son of an Indian trader. I'd known he was part Indian, but didn't know it was the Shoshone tribe or that he lived on the reservation. Family history is cool, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I already thought that was a cool pic, but the rest of the history is just so very interesting it makes it even better! I cant wait to see the page(s?) you do :)